The suburb was named after Thomas Dinsdale who owned a large block of land on Whatawhata road in the 1870’s. The area was originally known as West Frankton until 1961 when the name was changed and the suburb moved from the Waipa District Council to the Hamilton City Council. The area developed rapidly during the early 1970’s when the Goddall family decided to subdivide the large portion of land they owned. Aberdeen Drive was named after the Goddall’s family home in Scotland. The Goddalls wanted to create an English flavour for the area hence the street names of Wedgewood Place, Magenta Avenue and Courtney Place. The Waipa District Council named Newcastle Road but it appears developers later showed sympathy for the castle theme, naming streets such as Harlech, Caenarvon, Stirling, Kentworth and Dunvegan after European castles. From a population of 1000 in 1966 the suburb now numbers in excess of 7500 at the last census.
REAL ESTATE & DESIGN
The rapid development throughout the 1970’s is evident in the housing. As much of Dinsdale is built on interesting sloping sites, the geography has influenced the architecture of many of the homes. From modest 2 and 3 bedroom homes to large basement family homes, Dinsdale mixes both styles seamlessly.
Dinsdale is well catered for with a variety of options to be found at the Dinsdale shops in Whatawhata road. Convenience stores, banks, supermarkets and your local Lodge Real Estate branch can be found here.
RESTAURANTS & CAFES
The Dinsdale shops house a number of eateries including Pizza Hutt, a bakery and fish & chip shop. Café Vito is a popular coffee and lunch venue. Behind the Lodge Dinsdale branch is found the “Dinsdale Office”, a bar which provides superb meals with an ale or wine. Down the road the Dinsdale Tavern offers traditional fare such as roast meals for eat in or take away. It’s also a great place to take in the weekends sporting attraction in its sports bar.
Bremworth Park offers wide-open spaces for kicking a ball or throwing a frisbee. The Parklands Golf Club just outside the city limit offers a 9-hole chip and putt and a challenging 18-hole championship course.