Named after land owner F.R Claude, Claudelands began life as Kirikiriroa Station in the 1870s, and developed as the first boundary extension to the original boroughs of Hamilton East and West. It was a highly desirable residential area and became part of the borough in 1912, with Fairfield School being built in 1919 to cater for the Claudelands children for whom Hamilton East was too far to walk. The first biplane to land in Hamilton did so at Claudelands Showground in 1920.
Today much of the area has been designated by the Hamilton City Council as the Claudelands West Special Character Area to recognise and enhance the special character of the area. The City Council seeks to preserve the number of villas, arts and crafts houses and early bungalows, which provide links to the city’s early settlement. Although the City Council recognises that the area is not completely intact the policies aim to protect the area from any further inappropriate development.
The Claudelands Event Centre and Jubilee Park formed the site of the original Claudelands showground. The park was also once home to the Claudelands Trotting track.
Miropiko Reserve on River Road is said to be the site of the original Miropiko Pa.
Real Estate & Architecture
One of the early settlements Claudelands has many period homes from the early 1900’s which provide much of the area’s character. Many of these homes still exist today with owners who take particular pride in their restoration / preservation. The areas of mature vegetation with large street trees and front yard gardens enhance the character of Claudelands.
Rapid development throughout the 1970’s lead to large blocks of flats being built in the area. In 1980’s and early 1990’s a great deal of infill housing was developed on the ¼ acre sections which were common in the area.
The Claudelands West Special Character Area has now been created to preserve the character of a significant portion of the area.
About 2200 houses are home to 4900 residents.
Much of the area is within walking distance of the CBD. However, Claudelands is well serviced with other shopping blocks. Five Cross Roads offer a wide variety of shops, bars and fast food outlets. The Claudelands shops on the intersection of Te Aroha Street and Grey Street have many convenience stores including an excellent fruit and vegetable retailer and an Asian supermarket that is very popular.
Restaurants & Cafes
The Casalingo Espresso Café, on the corner of Grey Street and Clauselands Road, is a popular venue with the local people.
The Dumpling House on the corner of Grey Street and Te Aroha Street serves traditional Chinese dumplings, hotpots, stews and noodle soups.
Indian Aroma bring the spicy treats of southern Indian cooking to Claudelands. Found on the 5 crossroads round-a-bout.
Sports & Fitness
Kitchener Street Bowling Club is popular for a game of bowls in a special setting. Jubilee Park has a bush in the middle of the city for those wanting an orienteering experience or others who just wish for some tranquillity away from the bustle of the city.
Southwell Preparatory School
is a popular private school on Claudelands western edge. Hamilton East Primary School on the corner of Grey and Dawson streets is possibly Hamilton’s oldest school.
Intermediate age children from the area generally attend Peachgrove Intermediate in Peachgrove Road.
Hamilton Boys High School
on Peachgrove Road has a history dating back to 1903. It has a zoning policy. Check with the school or your Lodge salesperson as to the properties included within the zone. (HBHS Zone map